I might be making the temperature blanket for my own entertainment and to keep me sane, but YoungB will be getting the finished article. The colours in his cabin are muted (now that all those lurid teenage posters no longer grace the walls), and it could do with a splash of something brighter. I’ve tried to use colours with similar saturation, which ought to mean that all the colours will work together with both his cabin and each other. The finished blanket should be a good size for his bed. Obviously, it’s not going to be a Christmas blanket. To be fair, a woollen blanket is not something you’d normally be looking for at that time of year, given the temperatures we usually experience; and it certainly won’t be completed by then. It could end up being his birthday gift next year, when it will be far more seasonally appropriate.
The neutral squares are completed – as you can see from the photo – and I waited for the second batch of yarn before I started the other squares, in case I’d made a blunder in my calculations. It would hurt me to have to undo finished squares. I’ve so far been good at finishing first-round ends as I go. The only reason I haven’t also done second-round ends is that I’m redoing a couple of corners. They’re not all as precise as they could be, and it’s certainly true that a good corner facilitates easy joining. Sometimes I don’t seem able to finish neatly, no matter how I try.
I’m also doing small circular swatches of each colour, illustrated above. I find it helpful to have that visual cue for the palette. In any case, with regard to size, it’s a blanket. It will fit, one way or another, and with as little or as much border as required to achieve that 🙂
The yarn I’m using is Bendigo Woollen Mills Classic 8-ply 200g per ball, which has the decided advantage of being machine-washable. I know I’ve previously talked about the value of machine-washability! Colours are detailed below, with the number referring to the shade.
Top row, L-R: Indian blue 610, periwinkle 600, powder blue 777, pale eucalypt 745, guava 695, and maize 694.
Bottom row: viridian 612, marigold 769, burnt orange 767, holly 608, bright magenta 779, and almond 602.
As well as using the maize shade for those month-end indicators, I’ll use it as my JAYG colour on the third round. The almond-coloured yarn is destined for use in the border. It won’t appear elsewhere in the blanket, although I’d originally planned to do something different.
Dr B and YoungB both had input to the order of the colours. Dr B was the odd one out with his opinion about the “hottest” shade (bright magenta). YoungB and I agreed that the “hottest” shade isn’t going to get as much use in this blanket as it might have in previous years. Holly as the second-hottest shade will appear far more frequently, so Dr B’s concern about the blanket not truly reflecting the heat signature of an Aussie summer – he thought we should have the holly as the hottest colour, although the BoM doesn’t – might not matter. We’ve ended up with this order, which is quite different from where I started, but I like it.
I’m excited to have done the first of the actual two-round temperature squares. There’s a long way to go, and consensus around online crafter sites is that you can be pretty bored by the time you reach the end. I’m sure that’s true, but I hope that doing JAYG will ameliorate that. Updates in due course, of course! 😀