A messy, inside shot of the rainbow blanket, so not the brightest outcome
And now, are you ready for the details? Here we go.
For the rainbow blanket:
The sunburst granny pattern worked on a 5mm hook, to make the puff stitches puffier and so I could wiggle my hook through them, using the following colours of Lincraft 8-ply cotton. In rainbow order – you might recall, I cycled through a four-round ROYGBIV for each square and a white joining round in a five by seven layout:
|Colour in rainbow
||Yarn colour and amount used
||Red, 50g, dye lot 37706
||Orange, 50g, dye lot 37004
||Yellow, 50g, dye lot 37705
||Bottle green, 50g, dye lot 48612
||Aqua, 50g, dye lot 43807
||Denim, 50g, dye lot 48610
||Lavender, 50g, dye lot 37708
|White light (all colours combined)
||White, 150g, dye lots 46603 and 48403
My actual matrix. Unscientific, but effective 😀
It’s true that I broached a second ball of yarn for most of the colours, but that was generally around considerations of potentially running out mid-round. Only one or two colours really required that second ball. Most of them were factually a little under the full 50g. As you know, I did run out of white but Dr B saved the day.
For the neutral palette blanket:
Eight petal colours cycled six down then two at the top of the next row, and so on, so that no rows or columns were identical.
African Flower or paperweight pattern, and I used the first one I found on YouTube. I later checked several other tutorials, but preferred Parineko’s “octagon to square” method.
Another benefit of multiplication being commutative, and 24 being a multiple of three, four, six and eight, is that there are more layout options. Happily, I was able to keep tonally similar squares near each other. I checked that with Dr B, mind you, before I committed to the final layout, because his colour vision is a great deal more reliable than mine.
Worked on a 3.5mm hook to ensure a firm fabric. I used a variety of yarns, all 100% cotton. The colours I wanted weren’t available when I first looked and I hadn’t decided on a pattern. I wanted to make a start on the blanket because I was less able to join rainbow squares once the cooler weather hit. So, like anyone with an aged, well-curated stash, I tried to make do with what I had.
Lockdown then further dictated either what I was able to buy when I needed another outlining colour for the petals and/or where I was able to buy it. I’d originally thought about grey for the joining colour but was unable to purchase a sufficient quantity for that task. OK, then, not grey. I discarded the idea of cream/parchment because I thought it might make for a tonally flat result. But, as you know, I found a different joining colour: a mustard shade whose actual descriptor is coriander, which makes more sense if you think dried seeds.
- Round 1 all squares (centre): butter (Lincraft)
- Rounds 2 and 3 all squares: cream (Lincraft) or parchment (Bendigo Woollen Mills (BWM)) when the cream ran out and I was unable to source more
- Round 4: three squares of each of these eight different colours
- French rose (BWM yarn)
- natural (Lincraft) – which I considered for joining
- bright mustard/gold (Abbey Road kung fu cotton yarn, made in Italy for Spotlight; Lot 10)
- dark olive green (Abbey Road kung fu cotton yarn, made in Italy for Spotlight; Lot 09)
- hedge green (Lincraft)
- Nile blue (Lincraft) – which I thought was dark jade, but was probably blue
- periwinkle (Lincraft) – which I thought was a soft lilac, but was probably blue
- clearwater (Lincraft) – which I thought was light jade, but was probably blue
- Round 5 all squares: silver – which I read as grey and had originally intended to use for joining but didn’t have enough and couldn’t source more
- Round 6 all squares: cream (Lincraft) or parchment (BWM), and another alternative for joining but I wanted greater contrast
- Round 7 all squares, joining round: coriander (ficio Organic cotton yarn, made in India, purchased at Lincraft; Lot SC36-1 – which I read as a dark mustard and hadn’t considered for joining until it was all I could find in sufficient quantity and, as a matter of fact, fell in love with)
- Round 1: parchment (BWM)
- Rounds 2 and 3: dark olive green (Abbey Road kung fu cotton yarn, made in Italy, purchased at Spotlight; Lot 09)
- Round 4: bright mustard/gold (Abbey Road kung fu cotton yarn, made in Italy, purchased at Spotlight; Lot 10)
For the joining round on both blankets, I used Hooked by Robin‘s Solid TIGHT Continuous Join As You Go (CJAYG) PLT Method. I probably made more than a few errors but it worked and I liked the way it turned out. It may now be my preferred JAYG method.
Finally, I note that both blankets were made with much love for two new little cousins, and able to be discussed and displayed openly now that they’ve been presented to their intended recipients and their mums.